Friday 29 April 2011

Training Sessions - 1

Well it's been a while!

Started training this week, first time this year, and a very late start after last years indoor spring training started weekly in February. But that was with a set-up club for the year, the Chelmsford Clippers, whiuch I was managing. More on that rollercoaster experience later, as well as some feedback on how my 2009 and 2010 leagues went. Adds I might have something to add re fantasy baseball, after 3 years I started getting some great results in 2010. Another article coming on my 2011 drafts later too.

But todays topic is training. When you are hitting nearly 60, 59 recently, you've been smoking for 20 years, and the only exercise you do is a few hours gardening a week, and plenty of walking, about 6 miles a week, going into training can be quite hard at the start of the cycle. Before todays session, I'd been doing about 20 squats with weights (13.6 kg/30lbs) twice a week for a fortnight just to ease into the year, the knee was holding up well after last years injury, which was encouraging, not even any twinges, and some muscle strengthening around the dodgy areas of the knee has given me some confidence that I;ll be able to attack with the lead leg again this year, thank god, I was worried if that might be it, and a continual knee brace required.

This Weds, 27th April, did about 30 squats with weights (13.6 kg/30lbs), 20 squatting to overheads like in the Olympics, about 20 medium to strong resistance bands while doing a full pitching motion from both left and right sides, then went down the park and did about 30 pitches. Pretty rusty pitching wise, need to start working on some lunges, very little extension and foot plant for torque resistance, so it was really as much about shaking off the cobwebs, getting used to the feel of a baseball again, really getting onto the seams and using the whip of release for some movement, and trying out the various pitches, fb, 2 seamer, change-up, curve and slider.

The slider was a bit wild, down and outside were slippnig into up and inside to a righty, sometimes an effective pitch, but riddled with danger, can slip into the batters wheelhouse if not spot on.
Got one four seamer to fizz a bit, bear in mind that's for me, hardly a flame thrower, max last year was 74 mph, but the one that fizzed felt quick for me, muscles were all fully integrated, some leg drive and plant, a little bit of torque after the plant, and a good whip through, might have been at about 76, which for a first session was very encouraging. My usual tendency to go a bit wild and up in the zone to out of the zone wasn't happening so much, which considering how little extension I was getting, was surprizing and quite encouraging.
Strike out curve was going well, not dragging it down too much into the dirt, nice loop to it.
Really need to learn a get me over curve ball, and a consistent one at that, crucial to have when having off days at the mound, as I learnt too well in my couple of abbreviated outings last year. Change-up wasn't really happening, 2 seam/sinker was going fine, and down in the zone too, but not much movement.

All together not much movement across the board, but then a shortage of whole body arcing and late arm to hand whip, at my pace, guarantees that. But I'm confident about how that happens after 2 years working on pitching, and know that will come after 3-4 sessions.

After the niggling and extended knee injury last year much more encouraging signs this year.

Will now do nothing except a few squats and lunges before my next session in three days, which will give my body time to recover.

Thursday 29th. Ha ha, didn't know where to put myself all day, good ache from the back of the shoulders (both sides), lower back (both sides), thighs (more towards the knees), hamstrings, calfs, forearms and upper arms. The only area that felt missed was around the hips.

Overall well pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment